- Rehearsals are held every week, except the week of Christmas and New Year’s. This includes the Memorial Day Monday. Here is the rehearsal schedule for the 2012 - 2013 season.
- The rehearsal locations and time for each ensemble are as follows:
- Philharmonic Orchestra: Los Gatos United Methodist Church (LGUMC) - Social Hall, Mondays 6:30 - 9:30 pm (map)
- Chamber Orchestra: Archbishop Mitty HS - Music Center, Sundays 3:00 - 6:00 pm (map)
- Concert Orchestra: Faith Lutheran Church (FLC) - Ross Hall, Mondays 6:30 - 9:00 pm (map)
- Avant Flute Choir: Faith Lutheran Church (FLC) - Fireside Room, Mondays 6:30 - 9:15 pm
- Concert Winds Ensemble : Archbishop Mitty HS -Music Center, Sundays 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Prelude and Intermezzo String Ensembles: LGUMC, Monday 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Percussion Ensemble: Valley Christian HS, Wednesday 6:00 - 8:00 pm (map)
- Extra rehearsals may be required based on the concert requirements. The conductor or Music Director will decide and notify the musicians if extra rehearsals are needed. In tour years, extra rehearsals are required to ensure the orchestra is prepared for the tour performances.
- All musicians must check in with the attendance taker when they arrive, and Philharmonic musicians must check in AGAIN after the break. Failure to do so will be recorded as an absence;
- Musicians are required to bring their instrument (and accessories), music, music stand, black binder, and a pencil for note taking;
- Musicians are required to check their email or Yahoo Groups webpage each week to read conductor messages regarding rehearsals and concerts;
- Musicians are expected to practice and come prepared per their conductor's direction. They should arrive 15 minutes before the start of rehearsal. Late arrivals may be asked to sit out till the break so they do not disrupt the rehearsal.
- For SAFETY reasons, younger members MUST be picked up by an adult from their rehearsal room. SJYS will not allow a young musician to leave alone, even though he/she might have a parent waiting in the parking lot.
- No food or drinks (except bottled water) are allowed in ANY of the rehearsal rooms.
- Musicians will not do homework, talk, nor leave the rehearsal site during rehearsal hours.
Each orchestra and ensemble is made up of musicians that perform together as a team. Everyone's participation and perfect attendance is essential to the success of our concerts. Each member of SJYS must follow these rules on attendance:
- Musicians can miss no more than 2 rehearsals per concert set due to illness, emergency, or special circumstances (that must be pre-arranged with their conductor). A concert set is all rehearsals prior to a concert.
- Absent notice must be made to the SJYS office (email or voice mail) 24 hours before the rehearsal date. The notice should include the musician's name, ensemble, date and reason of absence.
- A Rehearsal Conflict form is distributed at the beginning of the season for each member to submit known conflict dates. If the dates change, please revise the form and notify the office. You can also submit conflict requests online.
- More than two unexcused absences in a set will result in disciplinary action and may endanger your membership with the San Jose Youth Symphony
- Absence from a concert or dress rehearsal may result in dismissal or a fee for the full cost of hiring a replacement. This can range from $50 to $500.
- Continued absences will result in one of the following actions: a letter of warning, loss of principal status, re-seating, and dismissal from SJYS. Musicians may be liable for the cost of hiring a replacement for a concert should a dismissal occur.
- Two late arrivals to a rehearsal are counted as one absence.
- Parent/guardians are encouraged to contact SJYS to discuss issues concerning their student's absences.