- Rehearsals are held every week, including all Monday holidays (e.g., Columbus Day, Veterans’ Day, Presidents’ Day and Memorial Day), except for the weeks of winter break over December and January. Easter Sunday is also a holiday for those groups that rehearse on Sundays (e.g., Chamber Orchestra, Concert Winds & Sax Ensembles).
- Here are the rehearsal details for each orchestra and ensemble:
- Philharmonic Orchestra: Los Gatos United Methodist Church (LGUMC) – Social Hall, Los Gatos – Mondays 6:30 – 9:30 pm (map)
- Chamber Orchestra: LGUMC – Social Hall, Sundays 3:00 – 6:00 pm (map)
- Concert Orchestra: Faith Lutheran Church (FLC) – Ross Hall, Los Gatos – Mondays 6:30 – 9:00 pm (map)
- Avant Flute Choir: LGUMC – Room 8, Los Gatos – Mondays 6:00 – 7:30 pm (map)
- Avancé Flute Choir: LGUMC – Room 8, Los Gatos – Mondays 7:45 – 9:15 pm (map)
- Jazz Ensemble: West Valley College, Music Building – Band Room, Saratoga – Saturdays 9:30 – 11:30 am (map)
- Concert Winds Ensemble: LGUMC -Social Hall, Los Gatos – Sundays 6:30 – 8:30 pm (map)
- Saxophone Ensemble: LGUMC – Room 10, Los Gatos – Sundays 5:30 – 6:15 pm (map)
- Prelude String Ensemble: FLC – Fireside Room, Los Gatos – Mondays 4:30 – 6:30 pm (Yellow Group); 6:45 – 8:45 pm (Blue Group) (map)
- Percussion Ensemble (Yellow & Blue Groups): Valley Christian High School’s Conservatory of the Arts – Band Room, San Jose – Wednesday 6:00 – 8:00 pm (map)
- Harp Ensemble: West Valley College, Music Building – Band Room, Saratoga – Saturdays 5:30 – 7:30 pm (map)
- Please refer to the Season Schedule (available on the Members Only page of the SJYS website);
- Extra rehearsals may be needed depending on circumstances (i.e., especially challenging rep, extenuating circumstances resulting in cancellation of an earlier-scheduled rehearsal, etc.) . The conductor and/or Music Director will determine if one or more are needed and will notify musicians well beforehand. In tour years, extra rehearsals are always required to ensure thorough preparation and readiness of the Philharmonic Orchestra before the start of travel.
Rules (See also SJYS Member Handbook, available on the SJYS Members Only page)
- All musicians must check in with the attendance taker when they arrive;
- Musicians are required to bring their instrument (and accessories), music, music stand, black binder, and a sharpened pencil for note taking;
- Musicians are required to check their email regularly for announcements sent via Google Groups each week to read messages regarding rehearsals, concerts and other important information;
- Musicians are expected to practice and come prepared per their conductor’s direction. They should arrive 15 minutes before the start of rehearsal. Late arrivals may be asked to sit out till the break so they do not disrupt the rehearsal.
- For SAFETY reasons, younger members MUST be picked up by an adult from their rehearsal room. SJYS will not allow a young musician to leave alone, even though he/she might have a parent waiting in the parking lot.
- No food or drinks (except bottled water) are allowed in ANY of the rehearsal rooms.
- Musicians will not leave the rehearsal site during rehearsal hours, unless expressly excused.
Attendance Policy (see SJYS Member Handbook, available on the SJYS Members Only page)
Each orchestra and ensemble is made up of musicians that perform together as a team. Everyone’s participation and perfect attendance is essential to the success of our concerts. Each member of SJYS must follow these rules on attendance:
- Musicians can miss no more than 1 rehearsal per concert set (2 for string ensemble members) due to illness, family emergency, or mandatory school event (reasonable notice must be provided in advance with their conductor). A “concert set” is all rehearsals prior to a concert.
- Notice of absence must be made to the SJYS office at least 24 hours before the rehearsal date or as soon as possible, by filling out and submitting the online Absence Form (also located on the CONTACT menu of the SJYS website). You can submit this online conflict form as often as you need to, when you learn of any new Absences. Failure to submit the absence form results in placement on probation.
- More than one unexcused absence in one set (two for string ensemble musicians) will result in probation and may jeopardize your membership with the San Jose Youth Symphony.
- Absence from a concert or dress rehearsal may result in dismissal or a fee for the full cost of hiring a replacement. This can cost $500 or more.
- Excessive absences will result in the following: warning emails, placement on probation, loss of principal status, re-seating, imposition of fines and dismissal from SJYS. Musicians may also be liable for the cost of hiring a replacement for a concert should a dismissal occur.
- Two tardies to rehearsals are counted as one absence.
- Parent/guardians are encouraged to contact SJYS to discuss issues concerning their student’s absences.